Saturday, September 5, 2009

Homework: Guilty of Worst Practices

In years past I had utilized what I thought was an effective procedure of assigning and assessing my students' homework. I assigned problems on a regular basis - usually after they observed something I wanted them to practice - checked it the next day for completion (not accuracy), and went over every problem on the board. I would call this the traditional "fast glance" process of assigning and assessing homework as it was the consistent and speedy method used when I was in high school some 20 years ago.

This method's biggest benefit was the amount of time it saved me both in and out of the classroom. I had thought about collecting and grading homework each time I assigned it, but the amount of paperwork and grading time was soon overwhelming. "Or" I could perform a deeper look as I walked around with my clipboard of +1's, +1/2's, and 0's, but this would take up too much instructional time. With time on my side because of the "fast glance" method, I continued with the hopes that it was adequate enough.

As I reflected over the years, I made sure that what I assigned was what I assessed - that was never really a problem. I gave all the classic speeches regarding my expectations for student homework with the hopes that it would be enough to motivate students to give out-of-class practice their best shot. A burning question still remained, "Why were students who completed their homework on a regular basis failing tests?"

Here is what I've determined so far:

My students would quickly learn how much "stuff" needed to be attempted to pass my "fast glance" technique. If I called them on an inaccuracy; of course "I didn't understand it" was the excuse. Without fail I always replied, "Don't worry, I'll go over it with the class soon." So here I was attempting to further explain a mathematical topic to a student that really didn't "get the problem wrong" because they didn't understand the steps in the solution. They didn't get the correct solution, because they never really attempted the problem thoughtfully. Something must change. I am convinced that realizing the students' absence of thoughtful practice will lead to an answer to my question: Improved procedural measures in handling assigning and assessing homework will lead to increased summative assessment grades.

Additionally I realized that the "quick glance" method inherently modeled very low expectations. Why would a child without the intrinsic motivation to complete homework do so just so I can look at it quickly and do the assignment for them anyway by going over it? I laugh now at all of the upset speeches and tirades I've made preaching the significance of homework when what I was really doing was constantly demonstrating its insignificance through my verification process.

I must change this practice, but what set of procedures has all of the pieces I need? I want a method with time benefits and accountability measures that are motivational; not to mention formative and flexible. After some deliberation and thoughtful input from the members of my professional learning team, I think I have a potential solution soon to follow in my next post called Homework: Trials of Best Practice (Part I).

No comments: